At first glance it might seem odd that Amazon creates lists of the most romantic cities in the US and Canada, but it all makes sense once you realize how the company comes up with these lists and when Amazon comes out with the lists.
Amazon uses sales data of romance novels and relationship books (Kindle Books and print books), romantic comedy movies (digital movies and DVDs), Barry White albums (CDs and MP3s), along with sexual wellness products, since January 1 on a per capita basis in cities with over 100,000 residents, to come up with the 20 most romantic cities. Barry White albums. I love that.
And of course, Valentine’s Day is just a week away, so Amazon’s hoping that this news will jog your brain and get you to order something romantic from the site. (A couple weeks ago I made a list of all of Amazon’s Valentine’s Day deals.)
Anyway, so based on that, the top 20 most romantic cities in the U.S. are:
- Knoxville, Tenn.
- Alexandria, Va.
- Springfield, Mo.
- Orlando, Fla.
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Vancouver, Wash.
- Miami, Fla.
- Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Dayton, Ohio
- Columbia, S.C.
- Pittsburgh, Penn.
- Clearwater, Fla.
- St. Louis, Mo.
- Erie, Pa.
- Clarksville, Tenn.
- Everett, Wash.
- Gainesville, Fla.
- Las Vegas, Nev.
- Rochester, N.Y.
- Tallahassee, Fla.
Just the fact that Las Vegas is on this list makes me lose my faith in the whole system.
Here’s what Amazon has to say about the list:
- For the last two years, Alexandria, Va., has been the most romantic city in the U.S. This year, Knoxville, Tenn., turned up the heat, taking the first place position and knocking Alexandria to the No. 2 spot.
- Knoxville has been gaining momentum on the romance scale. In 2011 it received “most improved,” jumping 14 places to come in second—this year that momentum carried it all the way to the top spot.
- Cupid didn’t strike New York City this year. According to Amazon customers’ purchase habits, NYC is the least romantic city in the U.S. Winston-Salem, N.C., Patterson, N.J., and El Monte, Calif., also took bottom spots in the ranking.
- Florida is for romantics, with four cities—Orlando, Miami, Clearwater, and Gainesville–ranking among the top 20 most romantic cities.
- For the third year in a row, Miami is the sexiest city in the U.S., winning the top spot in the sexual wellness category.
- The big movers and shakers this year were Dayton, Ohio, climbing 10 spots since last year, and Springfield, Mo., which wasn’t even on the map last year and is now ranked No. 3 on this year’s list.
And then here’s Canada’s list:
- Kingston, Ontario
- Guelph, Ontario
- Kelowna, British Columbia
- Oakville, Ontario
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- Calgary, Alberta
- Kamloops, British Columbia
- St. John’s, Newfoundland
- Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Red Deer, Alberta
- Langley, British Columbia
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Burlington, Ontario
- Thunder Bay, Ontario
- Barrie, Ontario
- Brantford, Ontario
- London, Ontario
- Burnaby, British Columbia
And here’s what Amazon has to say about these cities:
- Sex and the (Smaller) City: Though nearly half of Canada’s 20 Most Romantic Cities lie in Ontario, both Toronto and Ottawa don’t rank as passionate as their less populous neighbours.
- Always a Bridesmaid: Guelph, Ontario claims the No. 2 spot on the overall most romantic list for the second consecutive year.
- Your Love is King(ston): Not simply the overall winner, but you’re also most likely to curl up on the couch with both a “Rom-Com” and a Danielle Steel novel in Kingston, Ontario than in any other Canadian city.
- Bublé-ing Over: Kamloops is crowned Canada’s largest buyer of Michael Bublé albums per capita, proving size (of a city) doesn’t matter. Overall, British Columbia’s crush on their local crooner remains at an all-time high, with five of the Top 10 Michael Bublé-loving cities within its borders.
- Prairie Love: Residents of Saskatchewan are heating things up in the living room. Both Regina and Saskatoon make the overall Top 10, keeping the flame burning, especially with date night DVDs. Red Deer, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba also place in the Top 20.
- Heartbreak City: Last year’s most romantic urban centre, Victoria just barely flirts its way into the Top 5 in 2012.
- Love Struck: No one does it better in Newfoundland than the people of St. John’s, whose love of love makes them the only Atlantic Canadian city on the list.
Is your city in one of the lists? Mine isn’t. In fact… No city I’ve ever lived in is on the list…