Amazon had a very good December! More than one million customers became new Amazon Prime members in third week of December.
Holiday Best Sellers
Here is Amazon’s list of best-selling items this holiday season, by category:
- Tablets: Kindle Fire HD; Kindle Fire HDX 7”; Kindle Fire HDX 8.9”
- TVs: Samsung 32” Smart LED HTDV; Samsung 40” LED HDTV; Samsung 22” Slim LED HDTV
- Laptops: Samsung Chromebook; ASUS Transformer Book; Acer Chromebook
- Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i; Canon PowerShot A2500; Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera
- Video Games: Call of Duty: Ghosts – Xbox 360; Just Dance 2014 – Nintendo Wii; Grand Theft Auto V – Xbox 360
- Toys: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100 Kit; Spot It; LEGO Green Building Plate
- Baby: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes; Lamaze Cloth Book; Baby Einstein Bendy Ball
- Books: “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck, Book 8” by Jeff Kinney; “Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics” by Charles Krauthammer; “Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims: Time-Travel Adventures with Exceptional Americans” by Rush Limbaugh
- Kindle Books: “Sycamore Row” by John Grisham; “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak; “The Goldfinch” by Donna Tartt
- Music: “Artpop” by Lady Gaga; “Wrapped in Red” by Kelly Clarkson; “The Marshall Mathers LP2 (Deluxe)” by Eminem
- Amazon MP3: “The Marshall Mathers LP2” by Eminem; “Artpop” by Lady Gaga; “Pure Heroine” by Lorde
- Movies & TV: “Despicable Me 2” (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy); “Star Trek Into Darkness” (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy); “Man of Steel” (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
- Amazon Instant Video: “We’re the Millers”; “Man of Steel”; “Monsters University”
- Prime Instant Video: “Alpha House” Season 1; “Downton Abbey” Season 3; “Falling Skies” Season 3
- Home: Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set; Black & Decker Dustbuster 15.6-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vacuum; Swarovski 2013 Annual Edition Crystal Star Ornament
- Kitchen: Tovolo Ice Molds; Artisan Metal Works Silicone Non-Stick Baking Mat Sets; Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddle
- Jewelry: Sterling Silver and Amethyst Flower Earrings; Sterling Silver “I Love You To The Moon and Back” Two Piece Pendant Necklace; Alex and Ani Bangle Bar “Tree of Life” Russian-Silver Expandable Bracelet
- Women’s Clothing: Columbia Women’s Benton Springs Full-Zip Fleece Jacket; Carhartt Women’s Sandstone Duck Quilt Flannel Lined Active Jacket; Columbia Women’s Arcadia Rain Jacket
- Men’s Clothing: Levi’s Men’s 501 Jean; Levi’s Men’s 505 Straight Fit Jean; Levi’s Men’s 550 Relaxed Fit Jean
- Shoes: Clarks Originals Men’s Desert Boot; Tamarac Men’s Camper Moccasin; Bearpaw Women’s Emma 10″ Shearling Boot
- Beauty: Infiniti Pro by Conair Curl Secret; D & G Light Blue By Dolce & Gabbana For Women Eau De Toilette Spray; Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System
- Health & Personal Care: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband; Philips Sonicare Essence 5600 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush; Braun Series Pulsonic Shaver System
- Tools & Home Improvement: Mini CREE Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Zoom Light Lamp; O’Keeffe’s Working Hands Cream; WBM Himalayan Natural Crystal Salt Lamp with Bulb and Cord
- Pets: KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Dog Toy; Nylabone Durable Dental Dinosaur Chew Toy; Greenies Treat-Pak for Dogs, Original
- Sports & Outdoors: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter; Magnesium Fire Starter; SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop
- Grocery: Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 7-Pod Indoor Garden by AeroGrow; Donut Shop K-Cup for Keurig Brewers; Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter Set
There was glitch in the works — bad weather in several parts of the US. Despite the fact that the weather got better just a few days before Christmas, that was just too late. With the unusually high shipping volume, it was just physically impossible to get everything delivered on time. There were many unhappy people who ordered at the last “ship today for Christmas Eve delivery” time, only to see their orders arrive two or three days after Christmas.
Mrs. Amazopia ordered a gift for her granddaughter which didn’t arrive until the 27th. And she didn’t even wait until the last minute; she ordered it a full two weeks before Christmas. When it was clear that it wasn’t going to arrive by Christmas Eve, she printed off a picture of the gift, with a message that it got stuck somewhere in transit, and gift-wrapped that. When it did finally arrive, that gave us another excuse to visit the grandkids, so it turned out well.
What was really interesting is that UPS basically gave up and transferred that parcel to the USPS for delivery. That just boggles the mind.